Keeping customer information secure is a top priority for us at ACCO Brands Australia. This policy outlines how we handle personal information and credit related information (“personal information”) about you that we collect and how you can control our disclosure of personal information about you. ACCO Brands Australia complies with all applicable privacy laws including the Australian Privacy Principles as set out in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth).
- We protect the personal information we collect about you from misuse or loss by maintaining physical, electronic and procedural safeguards that meet or exceed applicable law.
- We require third parties that process personal information on our behalf to follow stringent standards of security and confidentiality.
- We train our people who work for us on how to properly handle personal information and we restrict access to what is necessary for specific job functions.
- We take all reasonable steps to ensure that all unsolicited information is destroyed immediately.
- We allow you the option not to identify yourself when dealing or communicating with us, only where it is practicable.
Categories of personal information we collect and hold
The nature of the personal information we collect, and where it comes from, will vary but may include:
- identity details such as: your name, address, date of birth, telephone number, occupation and drivers licence number;
- your bank account details and credit card information which is used for your transactions with us;
- information we collect from you for providing our goods and services to you, or when processing an application for you for commercial credit;
- email address and user ID’s including internet address (i.e. IP address);
- records of your communication with us;
- information about your transactions with us, such as account balances, payment history and account activity;
- information we may receive from credit reporting bodies;
- information we receive when you participate in any offers, promotions, marketing activities, competitions, surveys, subscribe to our emails, ask for support or register yourself; and
- data about you during your visit to our website using automated tools which collect data about your behaviour and your computer system, including, for instance, the web pages you have looked at, and the things you have done whilst on our website.
Purpose of collecting your information
We will only collect personal information for the primary purpose of our business operations. These purposes may include:
- providing you with our goods and services;
- assessing and processing an application for commercial credit and monitoring credit worthiness;
- billing purposes, processing receipts and payments and servicing customer accounts;
- responding to customer inquiries about goods and services, applications, accounts and communicating with you;
- meeting our legal and regulatory requirements, including consent for registration on the Personal Property Securities Register;
- marketing and promotion, such as providing individuals with information about our products and promotional notices and offers and to better understand your requirements and preferences;
- employment purposes; and
- improving our website.
We will, where practicable, only collect the above information from you. Where you seek commercial credit or deferred payment, we may also make enquiries with third parties with your consent. This could include persons nominated by you as trade references and your bankers.
Disclosures of your information
ACCO Brands Australia may disclose your personal information:
- for the primary purposes for which it was collected such as those described in this notice (i.e. for our business operations);
- for providing you with our goods and services;
- for assessing, processing and monitoring a credit application by you for commercial credit;
- where you would reasonably expect this;
- where you have consented;
- for regulatory and compliance purposes;
- to the extent that it is required to do so by law, in connection with any legal proceedings or prospective legal proceedings, and in order to establish, exercise or defend our legal rights;
- for direct marketing by us but giving you the opportunity to opt out of such direct marketing. ACCO Brands Australia includes its contact details in any direct marketing to you;
- where we suspect that unlawful activity has been, or is being, conducted, helping prevent security threats, fraud or other malicious activity;
- to enforce and protect the rights and property of ACCO Brands Australia or any of its related entities;
- where we or any of our related entities may decide to buy, sell or reorganise our or their business and under these circumstances, it may be necessary to share or receive personal information with prospective or actual third parties, in which case, we will seek to ensure that all data remains protected by a policy of this nature;
- for the purposes described in this notice, with our related entities, selected service providers, and other trusted third parties that may be engaged to perform a variety of functions, such as processing credit card payments, data storage, providing technical services for our website and operations generally. These entities may be situated in Australia or overseas including the United States of America, Canada, New Zealand, Singapore, Japan, United Kingdom and Europe.
ACCO Brands Australia will not:
- disclose your personal information to any credit reporting body or for any secondary purposes unless your consent has been given or as required by law; or
- sell or license any personal information that we collect from you.
Privacy and Our Website
Each time you visit our web-site at www.accobrands.com.au our server may collect some anonymous information, known as click-stream data, including the type of browser and system you are using, the address of the site you have come from and move to after your visit, the date and time of your visit, and your server's IP address. We may collect this information for statistical purposes to find out how the site is used and navigated, including the number of hits, the frequency and duration of visits and most popular session times. We may use this information to evaluate and improve our web site performance.
A Cookie is a piece of information that our web server may send to your machine when you visit our site. The Cookie is stored on your machine and helps us to recognise you when you re-visit our site and to co-ordinate your access to different pages on the site. With most internet browsers, you can erase Cookies from your computer hard drive, block all Cookies, or receive a warning before a Cookie is stored. (If you want to do this, refer to your browser instructions to learn more). Please be aware that some features on our website require Cookies to operate correctly and turning off cookies will affect your experience on our website.
We provide features on our websites that allow you to share and connect through social networks. These features are connecting with the services provided by the social networks and therefore the privacy controls in place are those of the social networks. Before engaging with any of these tools, we encourage you to be aware of the privacy settings of your social profiles and to read the privacy policies of those social networks. These social features will often store information about you and the things that you share or comment upon. If you share any of your personal information through a public forum or social network-enabled feature on our website, this information could be read by anyone. We are not responsible for the personal information you choose to submit in these forums.
Online shopping facilities
Cross border disclosure
ACCO Brands Australia is part of a group of entities ultimately owned by ACCO Brands Corporation, which is an entity listed on the New York Stock Exchange in the USA. ACCO Brands Corporation is a global organisation, with legal entities, business processes, management structures, and technical systems across the globe. Your information may be stored overseas including in the United States of America, Canada, New Zealand, Singapore, Japan, United Kingdom and Europe. Our employees and third-party data processors and service providers are obliged to respect the confidentiality of any personal information held by us. We will ensure that any such transfer of personal information will only be undertaken in compliance with the Privacy Act. Where we disclose your personal information to other entities in the ACCO Brands group, or to third party data processors or service providers, we will ensure that your personal information is processed in accordance with our instructions and in a manner consistent with the Privacy Act.
Collecting sensitive information
Keeping your personal information secure
ACCO Brands Australia will use all reasonable physical, technical and administrative procedures to safeguard the information that we collect to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure.
When we collect or transmit information over the internet, we protect it by using encryption, such as the Secure Socket Layer protocol. However, data transmission over the internet can never be guaranteed as being 100 percent secure and as such we cannot ensure nor warrant the security of any information transmitted via the internet and users do so at their own risk. Once we receive your transmission, we make every reasonable effort to ensure its security on our systems. All our data is stored in secure facilities with limited access and stringent security procedures.
Access and correction of personal information
ACCO Brands Australia Privacy Officer
Locked Bag 50,
Blacktown Business Centre NSW 2148
Email: [email protected]
Complaints and Disputes
If you have reason to believe that any ACCO Brands Australia department has breached the privacy policies outlined in this document, we urge you to raise this with our Privacy Officer. We will investigate all complaints and respond to you within 14 days. If we find a complaint justified, we will promptly resolve it. This is your right under the Privacy Act. If you are not satisfied with the outcome of this procedure, then you may contact the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner.
How this policy changes